Friday, May 31, 2013

Getting a Natural Glow for your Wedding Day


Over Memorial Day weekend I traveled to North Carolina to visit my sister. After spending some quality time on the beach, I came back feeling relaxed and looking golden and freckly. Keep in mind, golden for this fair skinned and blonde haired girl, is pale for most people with normal skin color! My range of skin color usually goes from pale to lobster red. Tan just doesn't happen for me. But all of the sun exposure got me thinking about how I'm going to get color for the wedding day. I'm not trying to look like the cast of the Jersey Shore, I just really don't want to blend into my wedding dress! I'm an advocate for girls staying away from tanning beds...the health risks just aren't worth it, so I'm looking for the best alternative for all the pale girls out there!

I've tried a lot of different products to achieve the perfect fake tan, and there have been a couple products that have worked well for me, and a couple that I would never use again. I have tried several different brands of the gradual self tanning lotions and moisturizers, and I haven't found one that I'm impressed with. The ones I have tried have either been too subtle, too stinky, or have turned my skin a shade of carrot. I recently saw a commercial for a new lotion that supposedly doesn't smell like fake tanner, so that might be something to look into.

A lot of people warn against the Versa and Mystic spray tans, but I've always been satisfied with my experiences with these spray tans. If you choose the right color and amount of time you spend in the booth, you won't come out looking like you escaped Charlie's chocolate factory. I usually select whatever the middle setting for color is, and I like to get the formula that prevents aging. Assuming you're not jumping into any pools and wait the suggested amount of time before you shower, the tan should last you around five days. The more you moisturize, the longer the tan will stay. There are a couple downsides to the Versa and Mystic tans: They smell like fake tanner and when they start to fade away, they may make your skin look a little speckly. Also, if you plan on getting one of these spray tans for your wedding day, I'd recommend doing it 48 hours before you put on your dress, that way you don't get any streaks on your white dress.


If you're worried that a Versa or Mystic tan will come out streaky and uneven (mine never have), you may want to consider going to a spa or salon where you can get spray tanned by a professional. I've done this a couple times, and was happy with the results. You will be standing in front of a stranger naked or practically naked, so if you're at all body conscious or shy, this isn't the method for you. It is a little awkward at first, but it's somewhat alarming how comfortable I felt by the end of the process! The great thing about this method is that the professional can make some areas darker or lighter to highlight your body in all of the right ways. You can go in looking for a tan, and you can come out looking more toned! Don't be alarmed if you're not as tan as you were hoping, the spray accelerates throughout the day. Also, don't freak out if your tan has accelerated too much, it won't be as intense after you shower. The same drawbacks of the Versa and Mystic tans apply to this method.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to getting spray tanned, I recently found a product on Pinterest that I'm in love with! The Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs spray works wonders! It can be found in most grocery stores or drug stores (I got mine in the beauty section at Kroger). It works instantly, and it comes off as soon as you shower. You just shake the can, spray it on your hands, and rub the product evenly on your body. The spray is intended for your legs, but I've also used it on my arms and chest. You only have to wait a couple minutes to dry before you can put clothes on, and you have an instant, natural-looking tan. I've never had an issue with it rubbing off on my clothes, but I'd definitely recommend waiting a bit between using it and putting on your wedding dress.

If you have tried a tanning product that looks natural, or have a disaster story, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment